By Nicola Hömke, Christiane Reitz
Lucan??s Bellum Civile is likely one of the such a lot striking and strange works of Silver Age Latin literature, and has been the topic of a lot learn in recent times. during this quantity famous specialists on Lucan learn the poetological, narratological and stylistic ideas the writer hired to write down at the subject of civil struggle. The epic poem is instantaneously either conforms to and exceeds the culture of the style, and confronts its readers with a brand new type of aesthetic.
Read Online or Download Lucan's "Bellum Civile": Between Epic Tradition and Aesthetic Innovation (Beiträge zur Altertumskunde - Band 282) PDF
Similar epic books
Dive into the number one ny occasions bestselling author’s masterpiece of medieval drama, The Pillars of the Earth, and its long-awaited sequel, international forever. Sweeping from twelfth to 14th century England, established round the development of an outstanding cathedral and the households and participants tormented by it, those novels “will carry you, fascinate you, encompass you” (Chicago Tribune) and “you will willingly lose your self for particularly a spell” (Denver Post).
This is the 1st unabridged English translation of an important Indo-Persian epic: a breathtaking story of magic and keenness, a vintage hero's odyssey that has captivated a lot of the realm. it's the spellbinding tale of Amir Hamza, the adventurer who within the provider of the Persian emperor defeats many enemies, loves many ladies, and converts 1000's of infidels to the real religion ahead of discovering his as far back as his old flame.
The Babylonian Gilgamesh epic is the oldest lengthy poem on the earth, with a historical past going again 4 thousand years. It tells the attention-grabbing and relocating tale of Gilgamesh's heroic deeds and lonely quest for immortality. This ebook collects for the 1st time all of the recognized resources within the unique cuneiform, together with many fragments by no means released earlier than.
Whilst Kelvin used to be a baby, his mom learn to him from the ebook of Prophecy and he requested what the poem intended. Now he was once approximately to benefit. the dominion of Rud languishes lower than the heel of a usurper; an evil sorcerer has taken the throne within the identify of his depraved daughter. Even deep within the woodland, clear of all energy, the folks tremble and look forward to the day of prophecy's achievement.
- Shadows of Self (Mistborn, Book 5)
- Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, Book 4)
- A Game of Thrones 4-Book Bundle (A Song of Ice and Fire, Books 1-4)
- The Prose Edda: Norse Mythology (Penguin Classics)
- The Trojan Epic: Posthomerica (Johns Hopkins New Translations from Antiquity)
- The divine comedy - Paradise
Additional resources for Lucan's "Bellum Civile": Between Epic Tradition and Aesthetic Innovation (Beiträge zur Altertumskunde - Band 282)
Die drei Prophetinnen erscheinen jeweils in 6,507-830; 5,120-236; 1 ,673-695. esar am Rubikon erHebeint (1,183-212), sowie einige mythologische Frauengestal ten (Medusa, Agave, Medea, Helena, die Sabinerinnen . . ) und eine Gruppe anonymer Matronen (2,28-42) hinzufügen. Natürlich bilden in diesem Falle die Figuren der Hexe Erictho und der Pries terin Phemonoe eine Ausnahme. Julia wird vom Dichter in 1 , 1 1 1-120; 5,468-475; 9,1046-1051 ; 10,77-78 erwähnt; sie erscheint Pompeins im 'II'aum in 3,8-40.
55 Fantharn 1992: 84f. ad 30-6; on the motif in the epic tradition see nl<;O Kytzler 1968: esp. 51 n. 4; Lausberg 1985: 1588f. The supplication scene in Acn. J1mo's temple at Carthage; cf. � if they have lost faith in the gods who did not li'lten to the Trojan women either. � a speaker (36f. � Euripides' and Seneca's Hecuba is singled out from the chorus of T'rojan warnen as their Ieader. � Hecuba leads the lament after the fall of T'roy, the Roman matrona urges her compatriots to lament in advance, for as soon as one of the rival� has won the civil war, they will have to rejoice (38-42).
5. � intertextual memory into character memory. nce by evoking tragic subtexts. In the old man's recollections, Hecuba's laments over the loss of her family are extended to the whole city of Rome, while his own family's civil war history still forms its central moment. The speech may thus be seen as mirroring the process of transforming history into poetry which makes 67 The parallcls arc briefty noted by Fantharn 1992: 90 ad 65. maric Amhlihl the Bellum civile such an intriguing epic. As the new civil war in the expectations of the older generation will exceed their earlier sufferings by far, so Lucan's aesthetics of violence surpasses its literary models.