By Allan Griffin
This quantity provides an updated, systematic account of the microscopic conception of Bose-condensed fluids constructed because the overdue Fifties. The middle of the current publication is the improvement of the field-theoretic research had to care for a Bose-condensed fluid. notwithstanding, the writer additionally brings out the basic physics at the back of the formal Green's functionality innovations and offers believable situations to appreciate contemporary excessive answer neutron and Raman scattering facts. the 1st 3 chapters provide an invaluable evaluate and introductory fabric whereas the concluding bankruptcy provides an evaluation and recommendations for additional examine.
Read or Download Excitations in a Bose-condensed Liquid PDF
Best solid-state physics books
This article offers an entire account of electron conception in either periodic and nonperiodic metal platforms. The author's obtainable procedure allows comparisons with experimental effects up to attainable. The booklet starts off with the fundamentals of one-electron band thought and progresses to hide excessive Tc superconductors and quasicrystals.
This wide-ranging presentation of utilized superconductivity, from basics and fabrics correct as much as the main points of many functions, is a necessary reference for physicists and engineers in educational study in addition to in undefined. Readers trying to find a complete review on easy results relating to superconductivity and superconducting fabrics will extend their wisdom and realizing of either high and low Tc superconductors with appreciate to their program.
- Encyclopedia Dictionary of Condensed Matter Physics, 1st Edition
- Hierarchical Micro/Nanostructured Materials: Fabrication, Properties, and Applications (Advances in Materials Science and Engineering)
- Thermal Transport in Strongly Correlated Rare-Earth Intermetallic Compounds (Springer Theses)
- Graphene Science Handbook: Fabrication Methods (Volume 3)
- Needleless Electrospinning of Nanofibers: Technology and Applications
- Fractional Statistics and Anyon Supercon (Series on Directions in Condensed Matter Physics (Paperback))
Extra resources for Excitations in a Bose-condensed Liquid
This language is familiar in describing interacting Fermi systems (Pines and Nozieres, 1966). It is equally useful in discussing density fluctuations in Bose fluids and we shall often use it in this book. 3) may be viewed as related to the propagator of particle-hole (p-h) pairs created at t = 0 and destroyed at time t. The elementary excitations are described by single-particle Green's functions. 3) which is measured by inelastic neutron scattering. 2) A(Q,t) = (aQ(t)a+(0)) . 7), this correlation function describes how a single atom of momentum hQ propagates over the time interval t.
9. The atomic momentum distribution in the normal and superfluid phases of liquid 4 He. 3 [Source: Sears, Svensson, Martel and Woods, 1982]. 39) where rc(p) is normalized to unity. This result is the impulse or independent-particle approximation (IA). In this limit, 5(Q,co) is seen to depend only on the equilibrium atomic momentum distribution. 38) and keeping only terms of order t2. This gives = *>-r2/T' . 40) In the last line, we have introduced an explicit definition of the scattering time TS as the relaxation time of SIA(Q, t).
There has been increasing interest in how the quasiparticle line shape changes in S(Q,co) as a function of the temperature. 4 A" 1 (the phonon region), recent high-resolution studies (Stirling and Glyde, 1990) have shown that while the width of the phonon peak steadily increases, there is no qualitative change as we go from below to above Tx. In particular, there is little change in the peak position (see Fig. 4). This was first noted in the pioneering study by Woods (1965b). 90K . 94K . 2 -. 6 v (THz) _ - - .