By Robert Stephen Wagoner
Read or Download Curing Human Misery: A Study of Seneca's Moral Philosophy PDF
Best philosophy books
Brad Inwood offers a variety of his such a lot celebrated essays at the philosophy of Seneca, the Roman Stoic philosopher, statesman, and tragedian of the 1st century advert. together with brand-new items, and a necessary creation to orient the reader, this quantity could be an important advisor for somebody trying to comprehend Seneca's vital and wide-ranging notion.
What's What? may possibly or not it's that famous writer Mark Kurlansky has written a truly brief, terrifically witty, deeply thought-provoking ebook completely within the type of questions? A booklet that pulls on philosophy, faith, literature, policy-indeed, all of civilization-to ask what could be the twenty most vital questions in human background?
The writings of theologians Thierry of Chartres (d. 1157) and Nicholas of Cusa (d. 1464) signify a misplaced background of momentous encounters among Christianity and Pythagorean principles prior to the Renaissance. Their strong Christian Neopythagoreanism reconceived the Trinity and the Incarnation in the framework of Greek quantity concept, tough our modern assumptions in regards to the relation of faith and sleek technological know-how.
This number of papers on concerns within the thought of psychological illustration expresses a variety of contemporary reflections at the concept that C. D. wide so aptly characterised within the identify of his booklet brain and the area Order. a massive impetus within the undertaking of organizing this paintings have been the discussions I had with Keith Lehrer whereas i used to be a vacationing pupil within the division of Philosophy on the collage of Arizona.
- Teleology, First Principles, and Scientific Method in Aristotle's Biology
- Globalisation, the Convergence of Religions and the Perennial Philosophy
- Georg Lukacs Reconsidered: Critical Essays in Politics, Philosophy and Aesthetics
- Philosophy and the Visual Arts: Seeing and Abstracting
Additional resources for Curing Human Misery: A Study of Seneca's Moral Philosophy
9) Seneca here gives some content to his understanding of Stoic theory on two points. First, the moral and rational parts are defined in terms of their ends – to keep the soul in order and to keep falsehood out. Second, in the case of the rational part of philosophy, we are given an account of the way in which it pursues its end – by working out an understanding of language. Seneca‟s brevity here on the end of the natural part of philosophy is a point of difficulty. We might conclude that the investigation of the universe simply is the end of this part.
To be clear, Cooper‟s account does not rule this out, but in so far as it fails to account for the importance of the acquisition of new beliefs – which is surely part of making progress – to that extent it fails as a complete account of the stages of moral progress. On the other hand, Hadot‟s analysis – particularly for its partitioning of rhetorical and philosophical exercises into distinct stages of progress – is attractive as a charitable account of Seneca‟s widespread use of rhetorical devices.
One can approach philosophical texts with this in mind and yet fail. There is still need of more substantive instruction if Seneca is serious about promoting progress in his readers. 24-39) where Seneca discusses the different results that attend different approaches to reading. Even when reading the same text, the philologus, the grammaticus,17 and one who is devoted to philosophy will achieve different results. The contrasts between these approaches yield some more concrete advice for philosophical study.