By Bernd Thaller
Visual Quantum Mechanics is a scientific attempt to enquire and to educate quantum mechanics by using computer-generated animations. even though it is self-contained, this booklet is a part of a two-volume set on visible Quantum Mechanics. the 1st ebook seemed in 2000, and earned the eu educational software program Award in 2001 for oustanding innovation in its box. whereas issues in publication One generally involved quantum mechanics in a single- and two-dimensions, ebook units out to give 3-dimensional platforms, the hydrogen atom, debris with spin, and relativistic particles. It additionally features a simple direction on quantum details idea, introducing issues like quantum teleportation, the EPR paradox, and quantum pcs. jointly the 2 volumes represent an entire direction in quantum mechanics that locations an emphasis on principles and ideas, with a good to reasonable volume of mathematical rigor. The reader is predicted to be accustomed to calculus and hassle-free linear algebra. from now on mathematical recommendations can be illustrated within the textual content.
Th CD-ROM contains a huge variety of Quick-Time video clips offered in a multimedia-like surroundings. the films illustrate and upload colour to the text, and let the reader to view time-dependent examples with a degree of interactivity. The point-and-click interface isn't any tougher than utilizing the web.
Read Online or Download Advanced visual quantum mechanics PDF
Similar quantum physics books
Monetary arithmetic is at the moment nearly thoroughly ruled through stochastic calculus. providing a very self reliant process, this publication applies the mathematical and conceptual formalism of quantum mechanics and quantum box conception (with specific emphasis at the direction crucial) to the speculation of innovations and to the modeling of rates of interest.
A precis of the pioneering paintings of Glauber within the box of optical coherence phenomena and photon statistics, this e-book describes the elemental principles of recent quantum optics and photonics in an instructional sort. it's hence not just meant as a reference for researchers within the box, but additionally to offer graduate scholars an perception into the elemental theories of the sector.
For every of one hundred fifty landmark papers in ab initio molecular digital constitution equipment, the writer presents a lucid statement. the first concentration is technique, instead of specific chemical difficulties. the chosen papers current vital tools and illustrate their effectiveness in predicting various chemical phenomena.
- From Classical to Quantum Mechanics
- Classical and quantum chaos
- Einstein’s Struggles with Quantum Theory: A Reappraisal
- Quantum Theory of Solids
Extra info for Advanced visual quantum mechanics
91) for the angular momentum in spherical coordinates, we arrive at ˆ = 1 L ˆ 2. 121) 2 2m r 2I 36 1. SPHERICAL SYMMETRY ˆ 2 has a discrete spectrum of eigenvalues, therefore the same The operator L is true for the energy of the rotator. Eigenvalues of the rigid rotator: A particle with mass m on a sphere with radius r can only have the energies 2 E = ( + 1), = 0, 1, 2, 3, . . 123) ψ ,m (ϑ, ϕ) = Y m (ϑ, ϕ), m = − , − + 1, . . , . 109) that ψ Sr2 ,m (ϑ, ϕ) 2 2 r sin ϑ dϑ dϕ = 1. 123) thus guarantees that the eigenfunctions are normalized on the sphere with radius r.
2, we stated that the rigid rotator is an approximate model for a diatomic molecule in a vibrational ground state. Here, we are going to reﬁne the model and take into account the vibrational degree of freedom. We assume that the two atoms are bound together as a result of some complicated interaction between the two nuclei and all their electrons. The conﬁguration with the minimal potential energy will have the two nuclei at some distance r0 from each other. The eﬀective force between the nuclei would be repulsive at closer distances r < r0 and attractive at larger distances r > r0 .
166) From this, we conclude that the functions 2 +1 P (x) 2 form an orthonormal basis in the Hilbert space L2 ([−1, 1]). For any wave number k, the plane wave can be rewritten as f (x) = eik·x = eikr cos α = eikrx , with x = cos α ∈ [−1, 1]. 168) α is the angle between the vectors k and x. As a function of x (for ﬁxed k and r), the function exp(ikrx) belongs to the Hilbert space L2 ([−1, 1]). Hence, it can be expanded in the Legendre polynomials in the usual way, 1 eikrx = c (kr) f (x), f (x) eikrx dx.